Wednesday, May 25, 2005

some random music melancholy...



... can the record buying public stop doing its best to make My Chemical Romance a successful band? Seriously, we only need one Davey Havok in the world. Dear Mr. Gerard Way, the job of pale, pretentious, bitchy singer is already taken. Please form a nu-metal band. Thank you ...

... 'Speed Of Sound' isn't a bad song, but I hope it isn't a sign of things to come. Most 'important' bands usually reach an artistic peak by their 3rd or 4th album. Even if its not their 'peak', it's usually the point where bands really begin to grow out of the sound that used to define them. I've been a Coldplay apologist for a while now, but this new single is obviously just more of the same. If anything it's the sequel to Rush of Blood To The Head's 'Clocks'. All the way from the steady eighth-note push of the verse and the circular melody, to the falsetto strains of the chorus. Pretty, but we've heard it before ...

... Now It's Overhead is a band I'm having trouble keeping out of my CD player. I don't care how you feel about Saddle Creek bands, these guys know how to get me. It’s spacey, moody, and indie (but modest). Required listening includes the tracks '6th Grade Roller', 'Wonderful Scar', and 'A Skeleton On Display'. I can't wait to pick up last year's release,Fall Back Open ...

... one title I CAN wait on is the new album by Team Sleep. And no, it's not just a clever name. Put in on, you will fall asleep. Good insomniac music. Even the appearance of Rob Crow from Pinback can't invigorate this release. Chino Moreno still has one of the most distinctive and beautiful voices in rock music, but half of the melodies sound like recycled ideas from White Pony ...

... what irritates me more than three to four Ryan Adam's releases per year??? Genocide. That's about it ...

... Rufus and his daddy aren't the only musical members of the family. Don't miss his sister Martha Wainwright's debut solo album. It's a confident, intimate, and catchy affair. Beautiful, humble, and full of potential; her sound brings to mind a sassier and less melancholy Joni Mitchell. I saw her perform once, backing up her brother about four years ago. If she keeps making albums like this, she may outsell him ...

... ok. I admit it. I'm looking forward to Billy Corgan's new solo album. I even took advantage of my presale opportunity and got some early tickets for his San Diego show. Much like a desperate Paul McCartney fan, or a delusional REM fanatic, I will probably continue to buy into and be disappointed by this fading star ...

... pack your bags, folks! We're not even done with this 80's nostalgia trip. But bring on the 90's! The Backstreet Boys (after a 5 year absence which seemed far too short) are about to release their comeback album, Never Gone. Let's hope THIS album title doesn't prove prophetic ...

2 Comments:

Blogger the train said...

the new coldplay single isn't a step forward, but it is a good song. it reminds me of how i felt about the new radiohead album. relative to their previous work, it's a holding pattern. but, chris martin has hair now. that's gotta count for something. ?

9:18 PM  
Anonymous thesnark said...

Good post. Word on My Chemical Romance's insistence on existing and double word on the new Coldplay single. I have heard it a few times and each time I wonder how this is supposed to make me want to buy an album that, based on its single, seems like it will be a rehashing of the more mediocre moments of their sophomore effort, the Radiohead-lite sounds of which I've already grown weary.

I'm currently trying to work my way through the new eels album without, like, killing myself from the depression. I change it up with a little Os Mutantes every few songs or so to keep myself from falling into a hole, but they don't seem to mesh very well.

6:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home